Friday, June 7, 2013

Why do I look like a Ghost in Pictures?!

Name:  Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place 
Brand: Estee Lauder
Make-up: Foundation
Price: £27.50
Rating: 9/10*

I was first introduced to Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place foundation about 6 months ago, I had been struggling to find a foundation that didn't make me look washed out and almost ghost like in photo's when I was on a night out. After a lot of research on the web I soon discovered why this was happening with my previous 'night out' foundation. So here it goes with all the science stuff!

Every foundation and moisturiser that is used on the face contains a certain amount of SPF (sun protection factor) in most face products it normally contains titanium dioxide. The amount of SPF used in the foundation/moisturiser is always displayed on the product that you are using. For example my previous 'night out' foundation by No.7 Beautifully Matte Mousse Foundation contained SPF 15; the higher the SPF the more titanium dioxide that has been used. Although the ingredients that make up SPF are good for your skin and help with ageing and sun protection its main objective is to have the same affect as that of suncream by acting as a barrier between your skin and UV rays from the sun. 

Therefore the SPF in your foundation or moisturiser reflects the UV rays of sun and light off your face, when relating this to photographs this is how it works... when you are being photographed with a flash- the light from the flash naturally reflects/ bounces off your face due to the SPF in your foundation something causing you to get a ghostly look. (If any of that doesn't make sense, or you want it explaining more just drop me a comment below) 

So my search began to find a foundation with a low SPF to see if this was my problem, I had been recommended by a few of my friends that Estee Lauder did some great products. I went into Boots (Westfield; White City) as they have a range of different make up brands to choose from and always have make up assistants on each make up stand.

In general my skin isn't too bad- (now I have said that I bet I'll get a big outbreak of spots!) However I do suffer with blemishes, therefore the lady said that I only needed the 'light' option (however they also offer a heavier option for better coverage). In general the foundation gives an all over good cover with a slight dewy affect which I'm not normally a fan of, but with this foundation it makes me feel fresh and ready for a night out! 

But now for the most important question... Has it stopped me looking like a ghost in pictures? 
The answer is 'kinda' although I am very happy with it and I don't think any other foundation would had done the job as good as Estee Lauder, I do still think I look a little pale in some pictures. But hey ho! I'm sure that can be fixed with a little bronzer.

Unfortunately Estee Lauder is generally pretty pricey when it comes all of their products and I was very reluctant about spending £27.50 on a foundation when I was used to spending £12.95 on my everyday foundation No.7 Beautifully Matte Mousse Foundation. However I decided that I would get it and now only use it when I am going on a night out; one of the reason for this is that it was so expensive and I feel that my No.7 foundation gives me a more light and airy feeling on coverage which I prefer during the day. 

Although most foundations do tend to provide a protection against the suns rays always remember to use suncream as a base underneath your foundation when you are on holiday or it is just a beautiful sunny day! -sometimes suncream can make your face feel a little sticky when first applied, so apply it 10-15 minutes before applying your general foundation to allow it to soak into your skin. 

Leave any comments of queries below :)

(*all ratings are my own personal opinion, I am comparing them to other products I own/have used)

G. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!